Wow – year 1 is in the books! It’s been a year of growth, a year of bonding, and a year of fun. But most importantly, it’s been a year of gratitude – gratitude to all our family and friends who have supported us in taking the big leap in starting our new firm, gratitude to our amazing team at Kolitch Romano, and gratitude to our inspiring and innovative clients. Thank you for making our first year a resounding success!
Here are a few highlights of our amazing first year:
- The “launch” – we’re a new firm (full of seasoned professionals)! We officially opened October 1, 2018. We scrutinized every detail, from our brand identity to setting up our backend practice management systems (ok – we let loose the amazing Dave Bourgeau to handle that part) to selecting the best day for our weekly firm meeting/happy hour (BTW- it’s Thursdays at 4pm – come join us sometime!). What we really learned was that a focused vision, coupled with the right team, equaled the perfect recipe to overcome the fear of taking the big plunge to start our own firm. It’s been amazing – we are so glad we did!
- The “travel” – Portland airport, you rock! In our first year, our busy team traveled from China to California to North Carolina, to many places in-between, to promote our new firm and establish our identity. We attended conferences, including the International Trademark Association (INTA) meetings in New Orleans and Boston, the American Intellectual Property Law Association meeting in Tampa, the Craft Brewer’s Conference (CBC) in Denver, the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) in Las Vegas, and the American Bar Association meetings in San Francisco and Portland (one local – yeah!). Yes, the travel was exhausting for us all, but we found it exhilarating to promote a firm culture we all believe in and a team we know is striving to set the industry standard.
- The “volunteering” – let’s make a difference! From the start, our team at Kolitch Romano committed to find ways to make a difference in the community. For our first charity event, the Kolitch Romano team and their families got together to create holiday gift bags of needed items for those in need in our local community in Portland. For future events, we plan on park cleanups and other projects – and certainly welcome suggestions!
- The “team” – we almost doubled in our first year! If you want to know what makes Kolitch Romano tick and what makes us different, spend some time around our folks. You will find we have such a talented group striving to create a culture of excellence, transparency, and fun. We want everyone who works here to be inspired to be the best they can be, both in and outside of work. We hire only the best, and we want everyone on our team to reach their fullest potential. We can’t thank them enough.
- The “fun” – I mean, you can’t work all the time! We also had some fun times this year, including adding a lounge area with ping pong and shuffle board to our office, a wine tasting limo tour in Oregon, a Portland Thorns soccer game outing, and a one-year firm anniversary trip to Ground Kontrol!
- The “future” – keep innovating! Just like our clients, our team is constantly focused on how we can continue to stay ahead of the curve. We continue to leverage technology and artificial intelligence to optimize our delivery of legal services in the digital age. However, we maintain our “retro” thinking that business is still ultimately about people. This seems to be a lost art nowadays; so, look for us in person at events, meetings, and around town, or stop by our happy hour. We would love to chat!
Finally, if you made it this far, thank you for reading our reflections on our first year! Here’s to continued team work, client collaboration, and strategic counsel in year two!