Before becoming an attorney, Dave was an engineer for fifteen years, first in the Navy and then at several Fortune 500 companies.
During his time in the Navy, he served as a nuclear power-trained officer in charge of reactor controls and electronic systems on the USS California (CGN-36). From there, Dave went on to work extensively with industrial automation and industrial robots in the automobile manufacturing sector. After his Navy and automotive industry days, he proceeded to work as an engineer and manager in the shipping and food industries, focusing mainly on manufacturing systems and equipment, software application development, process design, project management, root cause analysis, and complex planning.
With this technical experience and leadership background, Dave is as comfortable speaking with your engineers and developers about the details as he is discussing high level business strategy with your leadership team.
As an intellectual property attorney, Dave’s focus is on helping your business identify and strategically protect its intangible assets. As a registered patent attorney, he can assist with every aspect of IP law, including patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio strategy, licensing, and freedom-to-operate.
In his patent work, Dave represents a broad array of industries but focuses on complex mechanical inventions, typically involving electronics and software controls.
Follow Dave on twitter: @PatentBadass
Areas of Expertise
- Patent application drafting
- Patent prosecution
- Utility patents, design patents, provisional patents
- Legal opinions (noninfringement, invalidity, etc.)
- Patent strategy
- Patent portfolio development
- Trademark prosecution
- Trademark strategy
- Trademark clearance
- PCT Applications
- Licensing and Contracts
J.D. magna cum laude
Lewis & Clark Law School
Intellectual Property Law Certificate; Evening Student Award; Gantenbein Scholar; Articles Editor on the Lewis & Clark Law Review
B.S. magna cum laude, Industrial & Operations Engineering
University of Michigan
Scabbard and Blade Honor Society
Nuclear Power School, United States Navy
Bar Admissions and Organizations
- Oregon State Bar (Executive Committee, Technology Law Section)
- American Bar Association
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (§ 101 Subcommittee)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- IP and Legal Protections for Startups, RoboBusiness Conference (Presenter 2017)
- Protect Your IP and Get Ahead of Robotics Regulations, RoboBusiness Conference (Co-Presenter 2017)
- What Is Intellectual Property and How Do I Get Some? Portland New Generations Rotary (Presenter 2017)