T.J. Romano focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and counseling. He represents both domestic and international clients on patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters in a wide array of technology areas and industries.
T.J. spent six months working from Munich, Germany alongside European colleagues to gain a better understanding of the European intellectual property laws and business marketplace.
Prior to law school, T.J. worked in business strategy consulting in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical-device industries. He also worked in business development for a company that develops business-operations software for healthcare providers. During law school, he clerked for a business and litigation firm in Eugene, Oregon, and worked for a jury consultant.
University of Oregon School of Law Editor on the Oregon Law Review; Member of the Moot Court Board. Order of the Coif
B.S. cum laude, Chemistry
Bar Admissions, Court Admissions, Professional Organizations
- Oregon State Bar (Member at Large, Executive Committee, Intellectual Property Section 2011-2016)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Bar Foundation (Fellow, 2016 – Present)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) (Member of the Enforcement Committee 2014-2017)
- Oregon Patent Law Association (OPLA)
- Multnomah County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- World’s Leading Trademark Professionals World Trademark Review® 2015-2018
- Selected for inclusion in the Oregon Super Lawyers® Rising Star Edition in 2008, 2009, 2013-2016, Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney in Portland, OR 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated Lawyer, AV® Preeminent™
AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. See www.martindale.com.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- What’s in a name?, The European IPR Helpdesk, January-March 2017 (Co-author)
- Crafting A Strong Beer Trademark Strategy, Examining Attorney CLE, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (Co-Presenter 2016)
- The Brewing Trademark Conflict: Protect Your Brand, Oregon Beer Growler, June 2015 (Author)
- Intellectual Property Protection, CLE, Multnomah Bar Association (Co-Presenter 2014)
- What’s in a Name? Trademarks Identify Brand, Oregon Beer Growler, October 2012 (Author)
- Patent Law Updates on the Invalidity and Inequitable Conduct Standards, Monthly IP Brown Bag CLE, Oregon State Bar (Co-presenter 2011)
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Law, Super Saturday CLE Program, Oregon State Bar (Presenter 2010)
- International Trademark Protection using the Madrid Protocol: Worth the Convenience?, Monthly IP Brown Bag CLE, Oregon State Bar (Presenter 2010)